'/> Amazing Animals: The Zany Animals whose Names Start with Z

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Zany Animals whose Names Start with Z

Just to enrich our knowledge about the animal kingdom; here are seven animals whose names start with the letter “Z”.

Zigzag Salamander

photo link

The Northern Zigzag Salamander (Plethodon dorsalis) is relatively small as compared to other salamander. It is only about six to 11 cm long. Zigzag salamander’s abdomen carries white and reddish orange markings with zigzag edges. It is widespread in some U.S states that includes: southern Illinois, Alabama, North Carolina, Tennessee, central Indiana as well as Missouri. Zigzag salamanders are usually found in moist or wet habitats hiding in rocks, dead logs and leaf litters. This salamander feasts on small arthropods and earthworms.

Zenaida Dove

photo link

Zenaida Dove or Eared dove (Zenaida auriculata) is found throughout South America, inhabiting open fields, agricultural lands and savannahs. The Eared Dove can be distinguished by its brown upper feathers long wedge-shaped tail and black markings on its wings. It may grow to about 24 cm long and weighs about 112 g. Known to be agricultural pests, they feed on seeds found on the ground

Zorilla

photo link

Zorilla or the Striped Polecat (Ictonyx striatus), appears like skunk but actually is a member of the weasel family. It is widespread in southern and western Africa living in savannahs and grasslands. Striped polecats have black fur with white stripes, and white spots on the face. On average, they grow to about 26 cm long and weigh 1.21 kg. They are nocturnal and carnivores whose diet include: small rodents, insects, frogs, lizards, snakes and birds.

Zeren

photo link

Zeren or the Mongolian gazelle (Procapra gutturosa), is a fairly-sized antelope that is found abundantly in Mongolia, and some part of China. It grows to about 100 to 150 cm in body length and weighs 20 to 39 kg. During summer, Zeren’s coat shows a pinkish tone, but becomes paler during winter. Adult males carry lyre-shaped horns. Zerens are known to be fast runners and swimmers.

Zone-tailed Pigeon

photo link

Zone-tailed pigeon or The Pink-bellied Imperial Pigeon (Ducula poliocephala),is a fruit-eating bird that is native to the Philippines. It has dark gray plumage, red eyes, pale gray head and tails and pink belly. Due to habitat loss, zone-tailed pigeons fall under the “near threatened” bird species, according to the 2000 IUCN Red List.

Zebu

photo link

Zebu (Bos indicus), is found in India, some parts of East Asia, and Africa. There are about 75 extant species of this so called “humped cattle”. Aside from the fatty humps, Zebu also has big dewlaps, long legs. curving horns and drooping ears. They come in different colors such as; black, gray, or bay. In India, Zebu is used as draught oxen and beef cattle

Zebra

photo link

Zebras are African horses whose distinctive marks are their white and black stripes that is unique to each individual. Zebras are known to be social animals that are found in savannahs, grasslands, and coastal hills living in herds. Zebras can grow up to 3,5 to 5 feet at shoulder height and can weigh between 200 to 450 kg depending upon the type of species. There are three known species of Zebra namely: Plains Zebra or Burchell Zebra, Grévy’s Zebra and the Mountain Zebra. Zebras are herbivore and feed mainly on grass.

Check out the entire Animal Alphabet list here:
Amazing Animal Alphabet Series 1
Amazing Animal Alphabet Series 2

36 comments:

  1. Great compilation! I have my son beside me to read and look at the photos - he is fascinated with fauna - thanks for sharing! The zorilla is so cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just Zebra that I know all along with Z, now I have a new word for Dove, Zenaida. Lovely name for a dove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow nice lists here! the only animals im familiar with is the zebra and the Zebu though most of them looks like the other animals though we call their names differently

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only animal I am familiar in this list is the zebra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i only know one animal that starts with Z, Zebra. i did not know that there are still other species that starts with the letter z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Zenaida Dove. It's beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firt time ko narinig lahat ng mga names nila except for the Zebra and they all sound alien to me, Papaleng. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that photo of zebras is so priceless, love the action captured, the zorilla is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be so ticklish to hold that salamander hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kapamilya ba ni zigzag salamander ang butiki?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anak, muntik na akong mahulog sa pagkakaupo ng mabasa ko comment mo. Ayos sa adlib. About your question. Iisa ang family nila but ibang genus ang salamander.

      Delete
    2. Haha I'm serious about my question and laugh back because of your reaction. Thanks for answering my question Tay. Para ka ng si Kuya Kim.

      Delete
  11. I can't imagine myself holding that salamander. The Zebu looks very interesting, pinaghalong kalabaw at baka.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha as I scrolled down I was wondering whether I will read "zenserly" hahaha the letter Z animals you shared here all look cute! I do not think I will ever have the courage to hold a lizard like the one in the photo here!! hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Idol, I only know of zebras as animals that start with letter z, hehe! At least po ngayon mdami na din akong alam, yehey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. To be honest paps, ang hayop na alam ko lang na nagsisimula sa Z ay Zebra. Hehehe

    Salamat sa blog nyong to, kahit papano nadagdagan ang knowledge ko! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only animal that I recognized that started with a letter Z is ZEBRA. Great to know that there are lots of animals who among are part of letter Z animals. Then I guess if we have reunion in our batch I am going to use this as one of my game questioner. Hehehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Zorilla is cute and the Zebra probably is the more popular in this list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great list of animals from you! I have only heard about some of these animals on this list, informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The zerens look like deer.
    Whoa, the zone-tailed pigeon looks really cute. Where in the Philippines can that be seen?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never thought that there are more animals that starts with Z other than zebra!

    and I thought the Zorilla was actually a skunk! whew! Nice info right here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Zorilla! First time I've heard of it. And it's so cute. Zebra lang talaga ang alam ko dito. hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha I was like huh? Z lahat? Same with the other, all I know is Zebra! Haha Nice photos by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Indeed a great compilation and this is the first time that there's an animal called Zebu. How are they related to the bramans?

    ReplyDelete
  23. One thing that I like about living in the countryside is that I get to see amazing animals pretty much on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Best compilation! The only animals in the list which I know were zebra and zebu. I will take note of that zorilla.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my! My son would love this! He loves animals. At 2 years old, he loves watching Nat Geo already instead of cartoons. :)

    xoxo
    Pauchee C.
    http://www.paucheecasimiro.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a shame I only knew one animal that starts with Z, and it's ZEBRA!!!.. wahahaha.. At least now I know there's Zebu and there's Zorilla..those are pretty easy to recall when the need arise to mention animal names that starts with Z.

    ReplyDelete
  27. zigzag salamander looks like the monster in MOnsters university who can disappear or camouflage! nice to know all of this lists!

    ReplyDelete
  28. the first thing the came to my mind is Zebra then I can't think of anything else haha. Another informative post from you papaleng.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i wanna see a zebu in person and that zigzag salamnder too

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm only familiar with zebra too! The Zorilla looks really cute. Is it safe to touch them? ;p They are carnivores kasi.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The only animal I know with a name that starts with Z is zebra! Now, I know many names na. Thanks to your article Papaleng! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Zebra is the only animal I know that starts with the letter Z, thanks for this information because I can also teach these to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, ang cute ng name na "Zorilla." Parang maarteng name for "gorilla" lang. Hahaha, and the animal looks so cute ha, parang skunk! =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yikes, paps! The zigzag salamander looks a little creepy. haha

    ReplyDelete

Leave A Comments